Hello, I’m Chocolate Lava Cake, aka Your Hips’ Worst Nightmare.
Chocolate Lava Cake is one of my favorite desserts. But I’ve never made it. I only order it in restaurants. For obvious reasons. However, I broke that rule last night.
The other night, the family had Bunny Tracks ice cream after dinner. My son kept asking why Dad didn’t buy chocolate ice cream instead. Like a week ago. The only reason we had plain chocolate ice cream was because Dad mistook it for Bunny Tracks. I was surprised too when he got home from work and saw the plain chocolate ice cream. See, I looooooooove chocolate cakes and bars but I don’t like plain chocolate ice cream. I’m just weird I guess. My husband doesn’t like it either (I think) so he was disappointed that he accidentally grabbed the chocolate ice cream. But I guess my son likes plain chocolate ice cream. He just could not stop talking about it.
So I figured I’d try to be the best Mom in the world. I fail miserably most of the times but I try. I decided to make a chocolate dessert last night. I thought that maybe he just really wants something chocolate. I couldn’t make chocolate ice cream coz I don’t have an ice cream maker (YET) but hey, chocolate lava cake is the mother load of chocolate desserts in my opinion so I’m sure he’d appreciate it.
That’s the reason why I made chocolate lava cake last night. And I’m sticking to it…………
Because it was my first time to make it, I needed a recipe. I knew my fellow food blogger/ex-b5media colleague Marye Audet has an easy recipe so I picked hers. BTW, Marye is one of the contestants in Foodbuzz’s Project Food Blog Challenge so please vote for her. Trust me, she’s awesome!!.
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped (I used milk chocolate chips coz that’s what I have)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave. You can use a double-broiler but microwave is ok too.
- This is how it would look like after 2 minutes (try 1 minute and 30 seconds instead). Don’t worry, just stir everything and it will look smooth after a while.
- Just stir until smooth. Then set aside.
- Beat the eggs (3 eggs + 3 egg yolks) until it’s lemon colored.
- Add the sugar gradually while the whole thing continues to beat well.
- Once sugar and eggs are beaten well, pour the melted chocolate into the bowl. I’m not sure if it should be bubbly like that but try not to worry about it too much.
- Stir until the mixture is well combined. Again, don’t worry how it looks at first.
- I told you, right? No problemo…
- In a bowl, combine flour and cocoa powder.
- Dump the flour and cocoa mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold it in. Don’t violently mix the mixtures together. Start in the middle, then turn the spatula in a scooping motion, turning it on top to fold. Continue to do this until well-combined.
- And here it is… fight the urge. Oh ok, maybe twice.
- Grease the ramekins or muffin pans with butter. Transfer the chocolate mixture into the ramekins. Place them in the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes (ramekins), 10 minutes in muffin pans. BTW, I had to use an extra pyrex cup to bake 5 small cakes.
From the oven, to the plate, to the table, to the mouth, to the tummy. That’s the sequence. Dust with powdered sugar.
Add whipped cream or chocolate sauce/syrup too if you want. These are optional toppings of course. Like I said, Chocolate Lava Cake is the mother load of chocolate desserts but it’s really not that hard to make. Try it sometime!