I have been craving sushi something terrible so I made some crab rolls this past Sunday. I made 2 kinds, crab with cucumber and crab with avocado. I even took out one of the sushi mats from my sushi making kit just to enjoy the experience of making sushi again. My son and I surely enjoyed the homemade sushi rolls for lunch.
Homemade Sushi Crab Rolls
- sushi rice (Japanese sticky rice, cooked)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- salt & pepper
- sprinkle of powdered ginger
- crab flakes (substitute with crab sticks if you prefer)
- cucumbers (peeled and seeded then sliced lengthwise)
- omelet (2 eggs)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 8 pcs seaweed sushi wraps (or more)
- 1/2 brick of cream cheese ( sliced in strips)
- sesame seeds
- water for sealing
- Put some cooked rice in a bowl, add the rice vinegar, salt, pepper, and powdered ginger. Mix everything together. Leave it in the counter to cool down. You don’t want to start making sushi with hot rice.
- Once the rice has cooled down a bit, start assembling your other ingredients and tools. Rice, crab flakes, seaweed wraps, cucumber, avocado, omelet, and a cup of water. Spread the rice on the seaweed. Leave a small part of the seaweed with no rice. Layer the crabs, omelet, cream cheese, and cucumber. You can substitute crab flakes with crab stick. Roll the sushi nice and tight. Use your finger to gently apply water on that part of the seaweed with no rice. The water will seal the roll together.
- For the outside rice version, just flip the seaweed after putting the rice then layer the crab, cream cheese, eggs, cucumber or avocado. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the rice if you want.
I also like making sushi rolls a day ahead for the following day’s lunch or dinner. I hope you enjoy making your own.