So, I finally made this Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole side dish that was going to be part of our Christmas dinner. At the last minute I changed my mine because I thought about the recall even though it has been weeks and it’s a different brand. Scott said once you boil the cauliflower off it should be fine. I served this as a side dish to a roast lamb which I will write about sometime, for our New Year dinner. Just a simple butter-herbs roast lamb with steamed asparagus, and this cheesy cauliflower casserole to welcome in 2019.
The base sauce is the same as the cheese sauce I use for mac ‘n’ cheese. A simple roux of butter, flour, milk, and
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- water for boiling
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese + 1/4 cup for baking
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the cauliflower in florets. Add in a boiling water to blanch for 5 minutes. Drain the water off then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 355°In a pot, melt butter. Whisk in flour to form the roux. Add milk. Stir a few times then add the shredded cheese. Season with sprinkles of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place the blanched cauliflower into a casserole dish. Stir in the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the extra 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on top. Bake it in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
TIP: You can also add crushed butter ritz crackers on top if you have any on hand.
Serve as a side dish to any dinner entree.