This is the 3rd time we’ve had Prime Rib Roast for the holidays. The first time was in 2016 during Christmas Eve then in 2019 for Christmas. I’ve posted the recipe in 2016 but with the recent website hosting problems I lost the post. I was going to re-write as I go through rebuilding content but I decided to wait just in case we decide to make it again this year. So here it is.
It’s really easy to make. I know you’d hear or read Prime Rib and it sounds scary because you certainly do not want to ruin a good cut of beef and an expensive one at that but you’d be really surprised how easy it is. Patience is truly the key into having a medium rare Prime Rib that sticks to your ribs, so to speak, for a special occasion like Christmas. The recipe is from Tasty and as long as you follow the instructions there is no way you can fail this. I will also attach my own for an added help and because I used dried Italian herbs and it is fine. Just get the butter and garlic ready!
Standing Prime Rib Roast For Christmas
- 5 pounds standing prime rib roast
- 2 stick butter
- 10-12 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°
- In a bowl, combine softened butter, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pat dry your prime rib with paper towel. Brush all sides with the butter mixture. Place it in the roasting pan. Stick it it the oven to cook, Just like the video said, 5 minutes per pound. 5 pounds for 25 minutes in a 500degree oven.
- After the 25 minutes, turn off the oven. Leave the prime rib in the oven for 2 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN! Leave it inside the oven for 2 hours. Again, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN during those 2 hours!!!
- After 2 hours, take it out and let it rest in a cutting board while you drain the drippings.
- Make gravy according to the video or use the drippings as Au jus.
You can hear Chase letting us know he’s watching eagerly ☺️. Scott sliced the bone part off first then sliced the steaks.
There’s plenty of meat on the bones for Chase.
Served with mashed potatoes, sautéed veggies, and homemade dinner rolls. SO.GOOD!! Make it for New Year’s celebration? I say go for it!