Potato Salad is a staple side dish to serve during the summer. It goes well alongside any grilled entry. Make it a day ahead and it will be filling and refreshing the next day. Some people have their regional recipes where they add sweet relish and some add chopped onions. My husband and I prefer not to have those two ingredients in our potato salad. This recipe is actually my mother-in-law’s and we love it this way. TIP: a little bit of spicy brown mustard elevates the flavors. Try it.
Classic Potato Salad
- 6-8 potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- water for boiling
- Peel and boil the potatoes until fork/skewer tender. Do not overboil. You want tender but firm consistency so it doesn't turn into mashed potatoes when you stir.
- Boil the eggs. Peel, chop roughly and set aside.
- Slice the boiled potatoes in cubes,
- Add the boiled and chopped eggs.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and spicy brown mustard.
- Gently stir everything together.
- Transfer in a container. Cover and let it chill in the fridge overnight or 5-6 hours before serving.
Serve with any grilled meat dish. Perfect for summer potluck and bbq parties.