[FROM THE ARCHIVES: 2013] This one-skillet dish with rice and sausages dish which is a mixture of polish and smoked was a special request from the husband. A week before this we had kielbasa sausages which I sliced in chunks, pan-fried a bit then served with mustard dip and homemade fries on the side. With sausages like these, I’d usually slice ‘em up, saute with onions and pepper to serve as is or as a sandwich. Now here’s a different variation, courtesy of Hubby’s request.
One-Skillet Dish: Rice & Sausages
- 2 packs smoked/polish sausages sliced diagonally
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sm onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped(save some of the leaves for garnish)
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 1/2 cups rice + more if necessary
- Prepare the ingredients. Slice the sausages diagonally. Chop the onion, garlic, and celery.
- Heat up oil in a skillet, add the onions, garlic, and celery to cook for 3 minutes or so. Stir in the rice to slightly brown for a couple of minutes. Stir in the water then cover. Check a couple of times to stir. Once the rice have cooked, stir in the sausages.
- This might need more water so just add more to continue cooking the rice. Cover the pan to finish cooking for 3 to 5 minutes more.
Transfer the rice and sausages into a serving bowl or platter. Garnish with the extra chopped celery leaves. By the way, I’ve used sticky white rice on this which the kind I use for sushi but feel free to use long grain rice too if you want.
There you go, simple and easy to make that will fill you up. Hubby gave it two thumbs up. Click here for a Chicken & Kielbasa Sausage Fried Rice version.