Sesame Chicken is probably the most popular dish we love to eat when going to Chinese Restaurants or Buffets. In my case, when I really like something, I try to learn how to make it in my own kitchen. If you are interested in learning how to make Sesame Chicken, today is your lucky day. So let’s get to it.
HOW-TO MAKE SESAME CHICKEN
- 3-4 pcs boneless chicken breast sliced in chunks
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sherry wine
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- oil for deep-frying (peanut or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- sprinkle garlic powder
- sesame seeds
- 2 strings scallions (chopped)
- Combine soy sauce, sherry wine and sesame oil in a bowl. Add the sliced chunks of chicken. Mix it all in, cover then store in the fridge for an hour or two. Heat up oil in a small pot or fryer.
- Whisk together a beaten egg, cornstarch, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Dip the marinated chicken chunks into the batter. Do this in batches.
- Fry the battered chunks of chicken into the hot oil until golden brown. Do this in batches as well. Drain the oil of the fried chicken using a strainer with a pot or bowl underneath.
- In a non-stick pan, whisk together ketchup, honey, sugar, water, vinegar, cornstarch, sesame oil, and sprinkle of sesame seeds. Add more water if necessary. Keep whisking until sauce is thickened.
- Add the deep-fried chunks of chicken into the sauce. Gently stir everything together. Transfer into a serving platter. Sprinkle with more sesame seeds and chopped scallions for garnish.
Serve with white rice. I adapted this sesame chicken recipe from Blog Chef and added my own touches. Enjoy. Let me know how your sesame chicken turns out.