It was chicken wings night in our family the other night. When I make hot chicken wings, I usually make another kind for the kids or just to try another flavor. These are either Honey-Mustard wings or just leave the breaded wings as is. When I’m on my experimenting mode, I’ve come up with Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Wings.
This time around I made sweet chili chicken wings to go along with the hot wings. These are sooooooooooo good. I mean “finger-lickin’ I wish there were more, I need to make these again soon and more often. You’d be surprised how easy it is to make it. All you need is a really good kind of sweet chili sauce which you could purchase from any Asian store or at the Asian aisle of your grocery store. I actually bought mine at Wal-Mart.
Here’s the bottle of sweet chili sauce that I used for the wings. You won’t use the whole thing of course. Well depending how many wings you’ve made, I suppose. For 10 chicken wings, I only used 1/2 cup of sweet chili sauce. The recipe below calls for 28-30 pieces of wings so use a cup of sauce but do the coating process in 2 batches.
Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- 1 pack chicken wings
- 2 cups flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (divide) (use more if necessary)
- Heat up oil in a frying pan. If you have a deep fryer then that’s good. If you don’t just use a pot or a pan that’s kinda deep to handle oil for deep frying.
- Pour the flour into a bowl or a ziploc/brown paper bag. Season with sprinkles of salt, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix the flour and seasonings together. Put a few pieces of the chicken wings into the flour mixture, shake or stir around to coat the chicken wings. Place chicken wings into the hot pan. Do not overcrowd the pot. Fry the wings in batches.
- Put 1/2 cup of sweet chili sauce and some of the melted butter in a bowl.
- Add 8-10 pieces of the fried chicken wings into the bowl. Slowly stir the wings into the sauce to coat the wings. Transfer into a platter. Repeat the process for the remaining fried wings.
Trust me, they taste as good as they look.
Two kinds of wings for dinner: Sweet chili wings and hot wings plus zucchini fritters and onion rings. Serve as appetizers to a party or have your own wings night for dinner.