CHICKEN AFRITADA WITH MINI SWEET PEPPERS
When my in-laws visited us here in NC from NY last year, my MIL introduced me to mini sweet peppers. We picked up a couple of bags of assorted sweet peppers which I added into a chicken and vegetable stir-fry dish that I made for dinner that day. Ever since then I’ve added the bag of small sweet peppers into my grocery list. I like putting ‘em into different dishes. I love the simplicity and sweet crunchy flavor. My husband said it’s also because I like how it looks, food styling wise. I have to admit he’s right about that because the vibrant colors sure look pretty on a plate.
Just look at how beautiful Chicken Afritada With Sweet Peppers is.
Chicken Afritada With Mini Sweet Peppers
- 6-8 pcs chicken (thighs, legs)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sm can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- sprinkle of garlic powder
- sprinkle of black pepper
- sprinkle of red pepper flakes (add more for more spice)
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 6-8 pcs sweet peppers halved and seeded
- 2 pcs carrots cubed
- Heat up oil in a pot. Brown the chicken pieces, skin-side down first, 3 minutes on each side.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Stir everything together. Cover the pot to cook until chicken are tender. Stir occasionally,
- Stir in the cubed potatoes and carrots. Let that cook until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Stir in the quartered onions and mini sweet peppers to cook for 3-5 minutes or so.
Transfer into a serving bowl when ready to eat. Garnish with a couple of whole mini sweet peppers. Serve with white rice.