You know how Western culture calls anything with Pineapple, Tropical /or Hawaiian? This isn’t it although I guess you could call it that if it pleases you. This is just a simple Filipino Chicken and Pineapple dish that I remember from my childhood. Traslation, Pininyahang Manok being Pinya is Pineapple and Manok is chicken. I just had a craving for it one day so I made some. This recipe was adapted from Panlasang Pinoy.
By the way, I added sweet chili sauce into this which is optional. The pineapple is enough for the sweet flavor. I just wanted a kick of the spicy chili flavor so I added some but you can skip that if you don’t want to.
Chicken And Pineapple (Pininyahang Manok)
- 6 pcs chicken (legs or thighs)
- 1 can pineapple (separate the juice)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 md potato (peeled and cubed)
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3-4 sm pieces sweet peppers (assorted colors)
- Separate the pineapple fruit from its juice. Save the juice. Slice the pineapple in chunks and store in the fridge until it's time to cook.
- Place the chicken pieces in a ziploc bag or large container with cover. Pour the pineapple juice into the bag. Massage gently then store in the fridge to marinate for 2-3 hours. (30 minutes would be fine if you're in a hurry)
- Heat up oil in a pan. Sauté chopped onions and garlic.
- Add the chicken pieces into the pan to brown both sides. 3-5 minutes on each side. Do not throw the marinade away.
- Add the marinade juice and milk into pan. Stir gently and let it boil.
- Stir in cubed potatoes and pineapple chunks into the pan. Stir, cover, then simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Add sweet chili sauce(optional) and soy sauce. Stir gently then add the sweet peppers. Stir everything together and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
Transfer into a serving bowl.