Summer Treat: Peach-Caramel Pie
If there’s Apple-Caramel Pie there is most certainly a Peach-Caramel Pie as well. I seriously love the caramel syrup/sauce that I discovered from Walmart. Plus, Peaches are in season and it’s one of my favorite fruits.
By the way, I made this pie back in July and I’m just writing about it now. It has been that kind Summer, HAH!
Double Crust Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6-8 tbsp ice water (ice cubes + water)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg (separated)
- 6-8 peaches
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- generous drizzle of caramel sauce
- 1/2 stick butter
- vanilla ice cream (optional but a MUST, seriously)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the vinegar. Sprinkle ice water over flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork, just until pastry holds together.
- Wrap the ball of pastry tightly with saran wrap/or put in a ziploc bag. Put it in the fridge for an hour or so. Or overnight if you plan to bake the next day. (If overnight, make sure to take it out of the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling)
- Slice the peaches. Discard the pit. Put the sliced peaches in a bowl big enough for mixing. Add the sugars, flour, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Drizzle the caramel sauce. Toss everything together. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375°
- Take the pastry dough out of the fridge, cut in half. Flatten 1 half on top of a floured surface. Roll the dough until it’s about 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Wrap the dough into the pin and slowly unroll into the baking pan. Smooth the dough out. Stab the dough with fork. Whisk the egg white until slightly frothy. Brush the dough with it.
- Mound the peach mixture into the pan. Add dots of butter on top. Roll and flatten the other half of the dough like the first one. Then slowly place on top of the peaches. Cut the edges of the dough but make sure there’s enough left to crimp with your fingers. (Make decorations with excess dough.) Cut a few slits on top.
- Whisk the egg yolk. Brush the top of the pie with it. Place the pie on top of a cookie sheet. You must do this to avoid the bubbling mess in your oven. Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour or until the top crust is golden.
VOILA, Peach-Caramel Pie.
Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream. It’s optional of course but pie and vanilla ice cream just go together perfectly in my opinion.