Seeing photos of Duchess of Cambridge looking FABULOUS and STUNNING in her purple suit today reminded me that I have an Ube Cake I need to write about. The power of purple 💜💜💜. I made this Ube cake a few weeks ago and I’ve just been procrastinating in blogging about it. There’s no better time than today so here it goes.
I just wanted a simple yellow cake actually but while gathering my ingredients I realized I didn’t have vanilla extract. I have Ube extract though so I’ve figured that’s even better. So, here it goes, simple yellow cake recipe turned into Ube “Purple” Cake with Buttercream Frosting. (Recipe adapted from Beyond Frosting)
Simple Ube Cake With Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Ube extract (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 stick butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectionery sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set it aside. Spray baking pan with oil and lightly dust with flour. Set the pan aside. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In the mixing bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs, egg yolks, and ube extract. Beat until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Add the sour cream. Beat together.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the bowl while beating everything together.
- Add in the milk and finish mixing all together.
- Transfer the cake batter into the pan. Bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Test the cake with a clean toothpick.
- Place in a rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the butter, confectionery sugar, salt, and vanilla extract(optional).
- Frost the cooled cake.
Here we go….
Purple power from Ube Cake with Buttercream Frosting. 💜💜💜