A roulade is a French term for roll-up. Don’t be intimidated by the French term because this Chicken Roulade In Cream Of Mushroom Sauce is not that complicated to make. The trick is to tenderize the boneless chicken breast using a meat tenderizer mallet. I linked up a couple in my Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich In Brioche Buns recipe. It’s a must-have kitchen tool that you should really invest on.
The cream of mushroom sauce in this dish is from a can. Like I said, this is not complicated so I’m confident you’d be making a chicken roulade plenty of times after you make this one.
Chicken Roulade In Cream Of Mushroom Sauce
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 sheet of saran wrap
- 3-4 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2=3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 sm can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups water
- a few clean toothpicks
- Heat up oil in a pan. Sauté garlic and onions, then add the mushrooms and spinach to cook. Season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the boneless chicken breast in the middle. Place the chicken breasts in a meat board then cover with saran wrap. Pound each side thinly and to tenderize. Do this in batches.
- Lay 1 piece of pounded chicken breast in a board. Spoon some of the mushrooms and spinach mixture then top with some shredded cheddar cheese. Roll it up tightly and secure ends with toothpick. Repeat for the remaining chicken breasts.
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup in a skillet pan. Add water, season with salt and black pepper. Stir together. Add the stuffed and rolled up chicken breasts.
- Cover the pan to cook for 35-40 minutes. Stir and coat the chicken occasionally with the sauce.
- VOILA! (3 boneless chicken breast should make 6 but I was able to make 7 because a couple of them were too big so I sliced them in 3.)
Transfer the Chicken Roulade in Cream Of Mushroom Sauce in a serving platter. Be generous with the sauce because it really gives the chicken an added moisture and delicious gravy.
Serve with pasta side or a salad or bread or baked potato. It’s totally up to you.