[ORIGINAL POST: JULY 2010]
Lamb Neck Bones Stew With Red Wine
- 2-3 lbs lamb neck bones
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp oilive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp powdered sage
- 2 large potatoes (peeled, cubed)
- 1/2 cup canned peas
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up olive oil in a pot. In a bowl, evenly dust the neck bones with flour on both sides. The flour serves as a thickening agent which is an essential ingredient in making any kind of meat stews.
- Brown the neck bones for about 5-6 minutes, cover the pot but stir it once while browning.
- Add the wine, water, soy sauce, dried basil, dried oregano, and powdered sage. Stir everything together, cover and simmer in medium heat until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Once the sauce has reduced in half, stir in the potatoes. Continue to simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Turn the stove off once the potatoes are cooked. Add the peas then stir gently. The remaining heat from the stove should suffice to heat the already cooked canned peas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper in the end.
Serve with buttered biscuits on the sides. You can add carrots on the stew if you want. Just add the potatoes and carrots at the same time to cook evenly. This lamb neck bones stew is perfect for a rainy day or the winter season.