My plan was to make HAM & POTATOES SOPAS a weekend ago but the Hubby asked if we had any pinto beans to add into the soup while I was simmering the ham bone. So, the soup turned into Ham & Pinto Beans Sopas. Since pinto beans are starchy enough I decided not to add cubed potatoes and just left it alone with celery and onions. Sopas usually uses evaporated milk but I decided to use a heavy cream instead. The soup turned out creamy, delicious, hearty, and filling that was just perfect for a cold day.
Ham & Pinto Beans Sopas
- leftover ham bone, thawed
- water, enough to cover the ham
- 1 cup pinto beans (washed thoroughly)
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 stalks celery (chopped roughly)
- 1 sm onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of salt & black pepper to taste
- Put water in a huge pot. Add the ham bone and pinto beans. Simmer over medium heat until the meat is pretty much falling off of the bone and the beans have softened up. (Check your pot constantly to stir and to avoid overflowing).
- Add the elbow macaroni pasta into the pot. Let the pasta cook until al dente. Add the celery and onions. Season with powdered garlic, salt and black pepper. Stir in the heavy cream and continue to cook for 10-15 more minutes.
Have a bowl or two.