Homemade Ube Ice Cream Cake
Alright, I’ve procrastinated long enough in writing about the Homemade Ube Ice Cream Cake that I made for my daughter’s 16th birthday party. The process was long and tedious that I didn’t wat to relive it too soon. But since I’ve got hours to kill until I break my fast(intermittent fasting 20:4), I’ve figured I might as well get it out of the way.
Just a heads up, this was my first time to make ice cream cake. I learned a lot from this experience which I will be putting into my next ice cream cake. This Ube Ice Cream Cake was not perfect and it wasn’t as pretty as I’d hoped and imagine it would be but the flavors were there and my daughter and everyone at the party loved it. There will definitely be improvements in my next ice cream cake.
By the way, if you make this you can just as easily use store-bought ice cream and the assemble would be much easier. That would be up to you. Good luck.
Homemade Ube Ice Cream Cake
- 2 boxes white cake mix (+ the ingredients needed)
- 2 cups heavy cream (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 can ube condensed milk
- 1 tsp ube extract
- ice water bath (ice cubes + water)
- 1 bag crushed ice
- rock salt (for churning the ice cream, refer to the maker manual)
Frosting (Whipped & Buttercream)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups confectionery sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 packet plain gelatin
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups confectionery sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Make your white cake according to the box. I made 2 rectangle ones for 2 layers.
- Cool the cakes down completely.
- Wrap them up in saran wrap tightly and stick in the freezer overnight. Also, chill the ice cream canister and ice cream paddle in the freezer overnight.
- 2nd day, make the ice cream. In a pot, combine milk, 1 cup of cream, 1 cup of sugar, and pinch of salt. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the Ube extract. Remove from the heat and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl or a mixer. Slowly pour the Ube cream mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Keep whisking to incorporate everything together.
- Make an ice water bath in a large bowl: cold water plus ice cubes.
- Transfer the ube cream mixture into the pot, keep stirring over medium heat until the custard thickens and coats the spatula. Scrape the sides of the pot as you stir. Pour the remaining cream in a separate bowl. Pour the warm custard over mesh strainer to catch the curdles that were formed. Discard that. Place the custard mix bowl into the ice bath and keep stirring to cool down.
- Stir in the Ube condensed milk until everything is incorporated. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and store in the fridge to chill overnight.
- The next day, prepare to churn the ice cream with your ice cream maker.
- Follow the instructions provided.
- Once your ice cream is made, remove the spatula, scraper every last bit of the ice cream into the bowl then let it sit in the freezer for 30 minutes just to solidify it a bit. Not too hard so you can spread it onto the cake easily.
- Make sure to chill the mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer before making the whipped frosting.
- In a small bowl, bloom the gelatin by mixing 1 packet of plain gelatin with 2 tbsp cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes then put it in the microwave for 2 seconds.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of remaining whipping heavy cream.
- Whisk heavy whipping cream until it forms soft peaks then add the confectionery sugar and continue to whip.
- Add the bloomed gelatin to the whipped frosting and keep whipping until well-incorporated and forms stronger peaks.
- There you go.
- Spread a little bit of the whipped frosting on top of the 1st white cake.
- Spread the Ube Ice Cream on top. Then place the other white cake on top. Spread a little bit more of the whipped frosting on top. Wrap the springform pan with saran wrap tightly and store this in the freezer for 2 hours just to harden the ice cream a bit. Place the remaining whipped frosting in the fridge to keep it cold.
- NO PICTURES: Unfasten the cake from the spring form carefully then quickly and gently frost the ice cream cake with the remaining whipped frosting. Put the pan back into the freezer to chill overnight.
- The next day(Party day), make the buttercream frosting for an added decor. Mix together room temperature 1 stick of butter and 2 cups confectionery sugar, and pinch of salt. Mix until the texture is good for piping. Use decorative piping tools you've got then pipe them over the ice cream cake. Store it back to the freezer until ready to serve. Take the ice cream cake out to sit in the counter for 5-8 minutes before serving.
This is a long process. I suggest you read it over and over again before making it. I’m not going to deny that it would be easier to use store-bought ice cream. Do that if you must and for your reference. I would still make my own ice cream because I happen to like making homemade ice cream during the summer. I’ve realized something when it comes to layering the cake and the ice cream and I will apply that the next time I make homemade ice cream cake.
Overall, this Homemade Ube Ice Cream was delicious!
By the way, if you just want the Ube ice cream, just use the recipe for that, transfer in a container with cover then store in the freezer overnight and enjoy it the next day.