I stumbled upon these Halloween Sugar Cookies from a folder dated October 2021. I guess I forgot to post about them last year. What in the world! These are just simple and basic sugar cookies that my daughter and I decorated ala emojis, swirlies, and with halloween-ish design.
Halloween Sugar Cookies
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour (+ extra for rolling)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- round cookie cutter
- parchment paper for the sheet pan
ROYAL ICING and Decorations
- 2 egg whites
- 4 cups confectionary sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- Food Coloring (orange and black)
- some decorations like eyes or sprinkles
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Mix until smooth and well combined. Form dough into a ball and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours Preheat the oven 375F degrees. Divide the dough into 2 balls. Roll out one ball at a time with a floured rolling pin, 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Flour the round cookie cutter and cut out the cookies. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet with parchment paper 2 inches apart. Bake 7 to 10 minutes. Cool the cookies in a rack before decorating.
- Beat the egg whites lightly, add the confectionary sugar and cream of tartar. The latter will make the icing hard so it gives that crunchy glaze on the surface. Mix everything together in spreadable consistency. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Add orange dye in one bowl then black on the other.
- Decorate the cookies. Have fun with your children.
- Let the top icing set for a few minutes before you add the designs you want.
Nothing fancy or extravagant but a fun activity with the family this Halloween. Enjoy!