For my 47th birthday last December, Hubby took me to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. At the end of dinner our waitress gave me a free dessert of Buñuelo. I didn’t know what it was so she explained it to me. Buñuelo is basically a fried flour tortilla, sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, drizzeld with honey, and with whip cream on top. How easy is that? Hubby had a beer so he wasn’t into dessert at that point but my daughter and I shared the Buñuelo and we enjoyed it very much. After the first bite I knew I was going to make some myself. BTW, yes they are kinda like Sopapillas.
Make the cinnamon-sugar ahead of time. 1 cup of sugar + 2 tbsp of powdered cinnamon. Store in a shaker or a tight container. You can sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on buttered toast anytime you want. By the way, I mentioned honey in the introduction. I forgot to drizzle these Buñuelos with Honey. Don’t be like me. Don’t forget it. If you don’t have honey that’s fine too. They’re still good but next time I’m definitely not going to forget honey.
Easy Mexican Buñuelos
- 4-6 flour tortilla
- vegetable oil for frying
- cinnamon sugar mixture (1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp powdered cinnamon)
- honey (try not to forget)
- whipped cream (or cool whip)
- Heat up oil in a pan. Fry one side of the flour tortilla until golden brown and crispy. Be careful because the tortilla will fluff up. Just let it be and step away so it doesn't splatter all over your face or hands.
- Flip the tortilla and fry the other side.
- Place the fried tortillas in a bowl. Repeat the process for remaining tortillas.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the fried tortillas.
- Cut in 4 triangles. Drizzle honey at this point.
- Sprinkle more cinnamon sugar on top.
- Add whipped cream or cool whip.
I consider this a dangerously easy sweet treat because good Lawd, I can make this every day and would not regret a thing. 😅😨😅 #SorryNotSorry
Try making these Buñuelos and do not forget to drizzle Honey.