Homemade Herbed Twisted Bread
I baked these Homemade Herbed Twisted Bread as soon as we finished the homemade white bread that I made back in August. If I remember it right there were only a few days apart. Once I’ve learned how to make bread in my own kitchen, without the help of bread maker machine, I have been baking our own breads pretty much. Once in a while we’d have a store-bought sliced bread but I can proudly say that homemade bread has been a staple in my weekly baking tasks. I actually baked some yesterday. Let’s just say I’ve been very nice to yeast and flour and vise-versa.
Once you get the basics of making bread you can pretty much any kinds of breads. In here, I added dried herbs. One time I made bread with shredded cheese. They’re all pretty good and was enjoyed by the family either individually sliced with butter, cream cheese, fruit jams or as a side dish to dinners.
This herbed twisted bread version would sure accompany a pasta dish quite nicely.
Homemade Herbed Twisted Bread
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- extra flour
- extra oil
- In a bowl, stir together warm water, yeast and sugar. Let that sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oil, dried basil, dried oregano, and salt. Once the yeast mixture has rested for 5 minutes, add it into the flour mixture.
- Using the dough hook, mix everything together until all the ingredients are incorporated. The dough should not be sticking into the bowl. If you don’t have a kitchen aid, use your hands and do the kneading technique.
- Put a little bit of flour in the counter. Dump the dough in floured surface. Lightly brush the same mixing bowl (or a different one, if you prefer) with a little bit of oil. Return the dough into the greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or a saran wrap. Let it rise for 25 minutes.
- After resting, punch dough in the middle. Sprinkle flour in a flat surface, dump the dough in there then give it a massage for about 5 minutes. Cut the dough in half. Cut 1/2 into 4 sections.
- Roll 'em up in thin sticks. Lay 2 dough sticks side by side on the flat and floured surface.
- Pinch the top ends together, then alternately twist the sticks until you reach the end. Pinch the ends together too.
- Repeat the process with the 2 remaining dough sticks. Place in a non-stick sheet pan, cover with a saran wrap and let them rest for 20 minutes.
- *Second half of dough: Lightly brush a loaf pan with oil. Put the dough in it. Cut a few slits on top. Cover with a saran wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Once the dough have risen for 20 minutes, take the saran wrappers out bake the breads in the oven, 350° for 25 minutes.
Don’t they look pretty? Oh you should smell the aroma of the herbs in the kitchen while they are baking.
Slice ‘em up, spread butter or fruit jam. Serve the homemade twisted bread with pasta dishes, soups, or whatever kind of dinner you want to eat bread with. Enjoy!