If I had serious craving for fish after the holidays I had another craving this week. This time around it’s cheese. I mean oozing melted cheese. Ahhhh. Just ponder that for a moment.
One of the best things about Scott’s new job is that he’s home every weekend now. This change makes planning family time so much easier. If we’re not out and about we’re staying in with rented movies from Red Box and food. But of course.
I figured my craving for cheese will just have to be satisfied this weekend so I could share it with the family. This Thursday happened to be the day I baked fresh batch of bread, one for a garlic bread which went alongside spaghetti and extra loaf which I thought would be perfect for the cheese fondue I had in mind for Saturday’s lunch.
Cheese Fondue With Homemade Bread
- 1 sm loaf of [homemade] bread
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 block sharp cheddar cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 block Monterey Jack cheese, cut in cubes
- Make the bread the day before. Or buy a crusty bread from the store. It’s up to you.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour then stir in the milk. Add the cubes of cheese. Keep whisking until all the cheese have melted. (FYI: This is pretty much the base for mac’n'cheese.)
- Cut up the bread in cubes. I had a leftover garlic bread so I warmed it up in the oven for 8 minutes then cut that up in cubes too.
- Transfer some of the the cheese mixture into the fondue pot.
This definitely satisfied my cheese craving. We had cheese fondue with Manhattan Clam Chowder(Progresso Soup). It was a perfect combo lunch on a cold frosty Saturday while we watched Fast & Furious 6.