Hazelnut Twisted Bread
I’ve been wanting to bake something with hazelnut but I couldn’t find yeast anywhere. I’ve checked at all the grocery stores that I frequent but I’ve had no lucks. It wasn’t until a couple of weeks ago when on a whim I texted my son to please check if his store has any yeast. As luck would have it they did so I told him to grab me a a couple of packs(comes in 3s). I have been guarding them for weeks. I finally used 1 packet for this Hazelnut Twisted Bread ala Cinnamon Twisted Bread or the Blueberry Cinnamon Twisted Bread.
This uses your basic cinnamon rolls recipe. It becomes “twisted” because instead of slicing the dough into rolls you cut it in the middle, cut-slits up then braid the 2 pieces. If that sounds confusing or complicated don’t worry because I have a video for it. Refer to the recipe below for full measurements of ingredients.
[UPDATE: Dec 20th 2020] This post is updated with photos from the How-To Make Cinnamon Rolls recipe for instructional purposes. Refer to the video above for additional reference.
Hazelnut Twisted Bread
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 5 1/2 cups sifted flour (+extra for kneading)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- oil spray to grease the pan (or extra vegetable oil)
- 1 stick butter (melted, divided)
- 1 1/2 cup hazelnut Nutella (divided)
- 2 1/2 cup confectionery sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- a pinch of salt
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp of sugar and yeast. Pour warm water, stir, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, sift flour, 4 tbsp sugar, salt, and vegetable oil. Attach the bowl back to the mixer. Using the hook attachment, mix everything together while pouring the yeast mixture. Start in low speed then gradually increase to medium. Scrape the sides once then continue to mix until dough turns stretchy.
- Sprinkle flour in a flat surface. Dump the dough on top. Knead the dough for 5 minutes and form a ball. Lightly grease the mixing bowl spray oil or veg oil. Drop the ball of dough in it then cover with kitchen cloth/towel. Let the dough rise for 2 hours or until the size doubles.
- Punch the dough in the middle, cover it back up and let it rise for another hour.
- Sprinkle flour in a flat surface, dump dough onto the floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes then slice in half. Set the 1/2 to the side.
- Roll the 1st half of the dough into a flat square/rectangle.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave. Pour and spread 1/2 of the melted butter onto the dough. Spread 1/2 of the hazelnut on top. Roll and tuck the dough as tightly as you can.
- Spray oil on the 2 round baking pans. Cut the dough lengthwise in the middle. Carefully separate the 2 pieces, try to put the exposed cut on top. Braid the 2 pieces. Carefully place the braided bread onto 1 pan.
- Repeat the process for the other half of dough. Cover both pans with cloth/towel. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Set them in the counter to chill for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together confectionery sugar, milk, and a pinch of salt. Equally drizzle on top of the Hazelnut Twisted Bread.
Serve as an after-dinner dessert with coffee, or an afternoon sweet cravings with tea, or if you could wait a little longer for breakfast(just warm up slices in the microwave).