This is an updated recipe of the classic Apple Pie. I drizzled caramel sauce on the apple mixture before putting the top crust. You can make your own caramel sauce if you prefer but I’ve been using the store-bought caramel sauce that I discovered a few years ago alongside where you’ll find the Chocolate syrup from Walmart and it has been a heaven-sent because I LOVE caramel. Click here to see what it looks like.
I actually made this Apple-Caramel Pie back in February using the apples that my daughter’s gave out for lunch. She got so many each week that I was able to save some to make a pie. A video reference on how-to make Apple Pie (no caramel sauce) is posted below. The Apple Pie on the video was made back in November of last year. I made some kind of design on the top crust just to be cute.
Double-Crust Pie Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6-8 tbsp ice water (ice cubes + water)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg separated
- 8-10 apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- generous drizzle of caramel sauce
- 1/2 stick butter
- vanilla ice cream (optional but a MUST, seriously)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.Add the vinegar. Sprinkle ice water over flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork, just until pastry holds together. Wrap the ball of pastry with saran wrap tightly then put it in the fridge for an hour or so. Or overnight if you plan to bake the next day.
- Peel, core, then slice the apples. Put them in a bowl big enough for mixing. Add the sugars, flour, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss everything together. Preheat the oven to 375°
- Take the pastry out of the fridge, cut in half. Flatten 1 half on top of a floured surface. Roll the dough until it’s about 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Wrap the dough into the pin and slowly unroll into the baking pan. Smooth the dough out.
- Stab the dough with fork. Whisk the egg white until slightly frothy. Brush the dough with it.
- Mound the apple mixture on top. Add dots of butter and drizzle caramel sauce on top of the apple mixture.
- Roll and flatten the other half of the dough like the first one. Then slowly place on top of the apples. Cut the edges of the dough but make sure there’s enough left to crimp with your fingers. (Make decorations with excess dough.) Cut a few slits on top. Whisk the egg yolk. Brush the top of the pie with it.
- Place the apple pie on top of a cookie sheet. You must do this to avoid the bubbling mess in your oven. Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour o until the top crust is golden.
VOILA, Apple-Caramel Pie. Let t cool for 5-20 minutes before serving.
Vanilla ice cream is optional but I would highly recommend having a scoop with your freshly baked apple pie.