[ORIGINAL POST: 2008]
Chicken noodles soup is supposedly the soup that ails cold and sneezing and all that jazz. But, my husband and I prefer the Japanese Hot & Sour soup. It’s actually our favorite soup and lucky for us, I make a mean Hot & Sour soup.
Now you can make your own too.
Hot & Sour Soup For The Cold(And Winter Season)
- 1 pack dried shitake mushrooms
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (thinly sliced in strips)
- 8 ounce firm tofu
- 1 can bamboo shoots (drained)
- 3 cans chicken stock (water is fine too)
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Soak the dried shitake mushrooms in warm water for about 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water after soaking. Slice the mushrooms in strips. chicken, tofu and bamboo shoots.
- Using a wok, Bring the stock to a boil. Then add the tofu, chicken, mushrooms and bamboo shoots. Bring back to a boil, then simmer ’till all the ingredients are cooked and tender.
- Add the rice wine (or sherry), soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring back to a boil. Add more water and seasoning if needed.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water. Add into the soup to thicken.
Transfer the soup into a serving bowl.
Hot & Sour Soup just like your favorite from a Chinese or Hibachi Restaurants. Maybe even better of I say so myself.