There’s the Sugar Cookies and then there’s the Drop Sugar Cookies. These cookies are the latter. Sugar cookies are rolled thinly then shaped then decorated. Drop sugar cookies, just form the balls and bake. However, do not forget the chilling process because of the butter. An hour in the fridge to chill should be good. So my plan was to make drop sugar cookies but I thought I’d make it fun for my daughter by adding Ube extract for the ube flavor and purple color which happens to be her favorite. VOILA!
The purple cookies look really good inside my blue cookie jar. Anyway, here’s the recipe.
Ube Drop Sugar Cookies
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp Ube extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- parchment paper
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Add sugar and mix together.
- Add 1 egg at a time and continue mixing. Then add in the Ube extract to mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix everything together until all ingredients are incorporated. Cover the bowl with Saran wrap and store in the fridge for an hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. When ready, scoop balls or form balls from the chilled dough.
- Line a sheet pan with parachment paper. Place the cookie balls into the sheet pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool the cookies into a baking rack. Repeat the process with remaining dough.
Just a TIP: Use parchment paper, NOT silicone mat. With silicone you’d get flat cookies. With parchment paper the dough won’t spread as much so you’ll get thick fluffy drop sugar cookies(any cookies, actually).
If you want other colors, use regular vanilla extract then add whatever food dye color you want into the bowl to mix. Enjoy with a glass of milk. You can find Ube extract at Sukli.com.