We cooked a Brisket in a crock-pot. WHUUUUTTTT! Blasphemy! We don’t care what you think though because it was delicious as Tacos. Sooo tender, juicy, and soooo filling. See, this piece of Brisket was small and Hubby thought it’ll shrink up a lot if he cooks it in the smoker. He didn’t want to fire up the Pit Boss Pellet Grill for a small size of meat. And the plan was to cut it up and serve as Tacos anyway. He figured the crock-pot would render it nicely and tenderize it to perfection. It would almost be like the Barbacoa Tacos that we get from the local Taco Rico restaurant in our little town. Well, ours were much better if I say so myself, HAH!
Here are the condiments that went with our Tacos. Salsa Verde(find a jar at any grocery stores. I like the Chi-Chis brand), chopped onion and cilantro with salt & pepper, Taco Sauce, and Mexican Cheese(Cacique Panela), and lime juice(Use fresh if available. I grabbed the wrong bottle when I took pictures. We had lime juice, FYI,)
I made Rice & Red Beans(I actually used Margaret Holmes Fancy Tiny Field Peas because Hubby prefers their small size but use any kinds of red beans.) as a side dish to go along with the Tacos. Scott also made Armadillo Eggs which I’ll have to write about some other time when he makes it again because I wasn’t able to take photos during the process. Anyhooo, let’s get to the Crock-pot Brisket Tacos With Rice & Red Beans for now.
Crock-pot Brisket Tacos With Rice & Red Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds brisket
- generous sprinkle of Jolly Roger Jalapeno Garlic Black Rub (use any kind of seasoning you like)
- 1/2 cup water
- 8-10 corn tortilla shells
- 3-4 tbsp oil (lightly brush the shell)
- Salsa Verde
- 1/4 Taco Sauce
- Lime Juice
- 1/2 onion
- 3-4 strings cilantro
- salt & pepper
Rice & Red Beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2-3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 can any kind of red beans (just use half of the juice from the can)
- 3 tbsp Taco Sauce
- salt & pepper
- Mexican Cheese (crumbled or shredded)
- Generously season the brisket on all sides. Let it sit in the fridge for 30minutes.
- At about 10:30am, put it in a crockpot with water.
- Add taco sauce. Cover and set to low to cook for 6-7 hours.
- An hour or so before serving, take the meat out and chop into small bites.
- Place the chopped meat back into the pot, stir in the sauce, cover and leave it to "keep warm" setting.
- Mix together chopped onion, cilantro, and season with salt & pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Lightly brush the corn tortillas with oil. Warm them in the oven a minute or 2.
- Transfer the brisket into the bowl.
- Assemble the condiments. Mexican cheese, salsa verde, onions & cilantro mixture, lime juice(use fresh if available), and taco sauce.
Rice & Red Beans
- Heat up oil in a pan. Sautee garlic and onions.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Stir in Taco Sauce.
- Add red beans of your choice. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes.
Assemble your Tacos however you like. If you haven’t cooked a brisket in a crock-pot for Tacos, now is the good time to try. It’s really really good.