One of the vegetable side dishes I love during the holidays is this broccoli w/ crispy bacon and toasted chips. It’s not that complicated to make. It’s actually a good side dish on any given day. You can opt not to add bacon if you don’t want to but bacon is LOVE, at least in my house anyway, so bacon it shall be added.
Broccoli W/ Crispy Bacon & Toasted Garlic Chips
- 3-4 heads heads of broccoli florets (separate the florets, peel the stalks and slice diagonally)
- 5-6 strips bacon (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and sliced thinly
- a bowl with cold water and ice cubes
- water for boiling
- salt & pepper
- a little bit of oil
- In a non-stick skillet, heat up oil. Add the garlic chips to toast. Pay attention to this coz you don’t want to burn the garlic. Set aside once toasted.
- Use the same pan to brown the chopped bacon. Set aside when done.
- Boil water. Add the broccoli and the sliced stalks. Don’t throw away the stalks coz they’re really good. Just peel and slice. Just let the broccoli cook for a few minutes.
- Drain the water then blanch the broccoli with the ice cold water. This stops the cooking and it will keep the broccoli green and crispy. Do this for 2 minutes or so.
- Drain the ice cold water. Add the broccoli into the same non-skillet pan where you cooked the garlic and bacon. Add the bacon back, season with a little bit of salt and pepper, and toss gently.
- Transfer into a platter then sprinkle the toasted garlic chips on top.